How to Know About the Efficiency of the Boiler Controls

Posted 2 years ago in BUSINESS.

For instance, if your boiler controls show 90 percent AFUE, it means 90 percent of the fuel is used for heat, and the remaining 10 percent is cleared out from the chimney

How to Know About the Efficiency of the Boiler Controls

Boiler’s efficiency is measured by AFUE, which is known as annual fuel utilization efficiency. The unit determines how efficiently the boiler is converting the energy from fuel to heat. In technical terms, it measures the annual heat output in comparison to the sum of total fossil fuel energy consumed. For instance, if your boiler controls show 90 percent AFUE, it means 90 percent of the fuel is used for heat, and the remaining 10 percent is cleared out from the chimney.

Retrofitting Your Boiler

Every machine at a certain point in time becomes inefficient. So, it needs an upgrade. Similarly, when it comes to the boilers, one can go ahead with the upgrade to improve efficiency. Furthermore, upgrades increase safety, especially if your boiler is quite old. The cost of retrofits can vary as it depends on how much your boiler is used and require maintenance to work for a long-term duration at ease.

To improve the heat efficiency of the boiler, you may need to replace the heatings system. There are generally two types of boilers such as gas boilers & oil-fired boilers. Hence, the installation will vary. Even the efficiency is based on the thermostats and zone control components,

Replacing Your Boiler

 Traditional boiler systems efficiency range between 50 percent to 70 percent. On the other hand, modern boiler systems have a high-efficiency range which can be up to 98%. Poor efficiency will impact the heating, and you may be deprived of hot water access.

When the efficiency goes down, then furnace pollution can be increased. Moreover, there are high chances of damage to machinery, which are life-threatening too. Upgrading the efficiency of the boiler in an average cold-climate house, one can save 1.5 tons of carbon dioxide emissions every year. However, it should work on natural gas; in case heat is due to oil, then you can save 2.5 tons of CO2 emission.

Usually, the problem occurs when the boiler is too old, or it’s worn out. However, you are not left with any other option; it’s time to replace it with an advanced high-efficiency model. New boiler controls come with 90 % efficiency. But the constraint is that they are oversized, which reduces the operating capacity in the future. Then you go ahead with retrofitting rather than replacing it as it’s a modern system with high heat efficiency features.

Maintaining Your Boiler

Consider the following factors to maintain the efficiency of the boiler system:

  • Firstly, check the pipe and chimney connectivity. It happens that some parts of their venting system are destroyed over time. It’s better to repair on time as chimney issues can end up with a lot of expensive repairs.
  • Secondly, check the heat exchangers as they can leak. This can be a big safety problem and can emit carbon monoxide gases in the home.
  • Also, checking the water & air temperature of your boiler system can lead to poor heat efficiency if maintenance is not done timely.

By following the retrofitting, replacing, and timely maintenance, you can increase efficiency and enjoy the hot water throughout the winter.

104 Views

Rose Bella

Living in United Kingdom

Comments

Picture


EXPLORE MORE INTEREST